Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Josh Pyke || Upcoming EP & Interview


It took me longer than it should have to write my intro to this one. But I mean, seriously, just look at that insanely cool picture. I'm easily distracted at the best of times...

I'm pretty that the first Josh Pyke song I ever listened to was The Lighthouse Song. I was very young and I'd yet to have heard a song with swearing that wasn't beeped out. The whole thing was scandalous enough that I still remember it today, and I still love his music just as much. (Although the swearing isn't really an issue anymore.)

Josh has proved a good artist to listen to, recently releasing a fans-first video for his single There's A line (officially available July 31). His fan love is possibly only paralleled by his hate for Kanye West and Kim Kardashian.


Don't forget to preorder the upcoming album But For All These Shrinking Hearts. And read about his hate for Kimye below.

What song best describes your work ethic?
I'm not entirely sure I understand this question [He does], BUT, if I do, then I would say the song Footloose is pretty accurate. As in, I work hard, but it's hard to really identify what I do day to day. Or maybe Wiz Khalifa Work Hard, Play Hard. I have two small kids, so after work, I'm generally playing pretty hard with some Lego or pretending pretty hard to be a cat.

If you could pick any two celebrities to be your parents, who would you choose and why?
I would hate to be the child of celebrity, it would be awful. So I'd probably choose the most awful of them all. Kanye [West] and Kim [Kardashian]. Then my hate would be justified.

What's your 1990s guilty pleasure song?
Maybe Semi Charmed Kinda Life by Third Eye Blind? Catchy song, but equally horrid. The singer made me want to punch myself in the throat. But there you go, you can't change what your brain likes.

No lying, who's your favourite Disney princess?
Probably Scar, from The Lion King. Watch it again and tell me I'm wrong.

What's your favourite song to sing in the shower?
More Than A Feeling by Boston. [It's a] great shower song.

What's the biggest risk you've ever taken?
Climbing over a cliff to show off to some girls and then not able to (gracefully) get back up. It was a failure on all counts, and the risk was certain death.

Who's someone, outside of the music scene, that inspires you and why?
Honestly, I'm inspired by anyone who has intelligence and empathy and a genuine desire to not be an asshole. Those things are quite hard to come by, and I'm lucky enough to know a few of those sorts of people.


What's the best thing about being a musician?
Every day is an adventure. It's like you've entered a lottery and any day could be the day that you get the call saying you've won. Creativity is the most fun thing in the world, and it's like disappearing into unchartered waters every day when you're trying to write or produce, or just think about art. The uncertainty of it all is extremely stressful, but extremely attractive and addictive.

What's the worst?
The same uncertainty can be a real burden at times, and the fact that you are inherently asking to be judged by releasing music into the world. That can be tough, so you have to toughen up to do it, which is not always what you want to do or be.

What's your favourite book and why?
I love East of Eden by [John] Steinbeck. It tries to explore one of the questions that I doubt I'll ever be able to answer, which is why people do what they do. We all have a choice, so why do we make the ones we do? It's a beautiful book.

Which country is the next on your travel bucket list?
I'm lucky enough to have travelled a lot for work and for fun over the years, and now I want to start doing that with my family. I think we're going to hit Thailand in the next couple of months before the album cycle gets too crazy.

How do you think your grandma would describe you to me?
My Grandma has passed away, but I think she was pretty happy with the way I'd turned out before she died. I think she'd describe me as pretty cheeky, but generally quite respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.