Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Montaigne || Glorious Heights


The thing about Montaigne is the only person she really can top is herself.

The newly 21-yer-old, with a brand spanking new album that made its debut at #4 on the ARIA charts, rarely has trouble with doing just that. She's the girl that just keeps getting better and everyone is falling in love with Montaigne. Jessica Cerro, better known by her stage name, is the pocket rocket oozing confidence as she makes her firm impression on the music industry. Although her debut album, the appropriately titled Glorious Heights, is for many a first glimpse at this talented songstress, she has the poise and confidence that lets everyone know that she's in the game til the end. 

First off, happy belated 21st birthday! Did you have a weekend off to celebrate?
Yeah I did! It was very nice, there was a surprise party and vegan fairy bread and everything.

I can’t say I was surprised when your debut album, Glorious Heights, debuted so high on the ARIA charts. How did you react to scoring the #4 spot?
There was a severe under-reaction. I don’t have a good gauge on what should in fact be exciting when it comes to that stuff, but my team all told me that it was an impressive feat and a big deal, so what I lacked in excitement I made up for in gladness.

Glorious Heights has received some glowing reviews, it you had to give the album a review what would you have said?
I don’t think I have the necessary perspective to give it a review haha, the songs are all deeply intertwined with my life and my feelings and so they always resonate with me (except for Consolation Prize, for some weird reason). A lot of the context in which those songs take place are in the past, but I guess the core sentiments are still pretty relevant to me devoid of personal details.

How did you feel releasing a full length album? Did it feel different then what you’ve done previously?
Yes, because there was a lot more emailing that had to be done, haha. It felt like a big deal so I put a lot of thought and effort in to make sure that it was the closest to exactly how I wanted it to be. Regarding the recording and writing of the songs - the only difference I’d say was that we had much more time to write. With the EP, I went in with four penultimately formed songs and that we just pre-produced and then recorded and mixed and mastered over about 5 weeks. We got to write for about that time, with a bit of pre-prod here and there, and then the usual few days restriction on recording (because of expense).

You’ve already established yourself as a girl with a serious voice in live gigs, how was it to capture your spark in a studio session?
I find it much harder. There’s more of a vibe in a room full of people hanging on your every word and note. It takes a bit of acting to record in a session, and I feel that I still have a bit of work to do to get really good at it.

And now that you’re almost ready to step back out on the road, how do you go about turning these tracks back into a live show?
We actually have our first rehearsal for this tour from 9-12am tonight! (I’m going to die, I’m usually asleep by 10:30pm.) We start playing with what we have, which is keyboard & synths, bass, drums, SPD-SX, my voice, and track, and then see how much on the track we can make live with just the four of us. The set list I initially write up tends to get changed,  but it’s good to have a starting point anyway. I’m not precious about sticking to my own guns.

Is there a track that you’re particularly excited to share to an audience?
I think Glorious Heights is very fun, I played that one at Splendour [in the Grass].

And just because I know you’re a huge Harry Potter fan, have you managed to read ‘The Cursed Child’ as yet?
I have. Terrible as a realistic representation of Rowling’s wizarding world, enjoyable as fanfiction written by a 15 year old.


MONTAIGNE ‘BECAUSE I LOVE YOU’ TOUR DATES
presented by triple j and music feeds

TUE 13 SEP | THE SPIEGELTENT @ BRISBANE FESTIVAL, BRISBANE QLD (ALL AGES)
Tickets available from www.brisbanefestival.com.au *On sale Thu 30 June

FRI 16 SEP | CARNIVAL OF FLOWERS, TOOWOOMBA QLD (ALL AGES)
Tickets available from www.tcof.com.au

FRI 23 SEP | FAT CONTROLLER, ADELAIDE SA
Tickets available from www.moshtix.com.au | 1300 GET TIX | All Moshtix Outlets

SAT 24 SEP | JACK RABBIT SLIMS, PERTH WA
Tickets available from www.ticketbooth.com.au

SAT 01 OCT | BEYOND FESTIVAL, CANBERRA ACT (ALL AGES)
Tickets available from www.beyondfestival.com.au

SUN 02 OCT | WILDWOOD FESTIVAL, PORT MACQUARIE NSW (ALL AGES)
Tickets available from www.wildwoodmusic.com.au

MON 03 OCT | CALOUNDRA MUSIC FESTIVAL, CALOUNDRA QLD (ALL AGES)
Tickets available from www.caloundramusicfestival.com

*NEW SHOW* WED 5 OCT | OXFORD ART FACTORY, SYDNEY NSW
Tickets available from www.moshtix.com.au | 1300 GET TIX | All Moshtix Outlets
FRI 07 OCT | UNI BAR, WOLLONGONG NSW
Tickets available from www.moshtix.com.au | 1300 GET TIX | All Moshtix Outlets

SAT 08 OCT | OXFORD ART FACTORY, SYDNEY NSW
Tickets available from www.moshtix.com.au | 1300 GET TIX | All Moshtix Outlets

SUN 09 OCT | LIZOTTES, NEWCASTLE NSW (ALL AGES)
Tickets available from www.lizottes.com.au | 02 4956 2066
*NEW SHOW* THURS 13 OCT | CORNER HOTEL, MELBOURNE VIC
Tickets available from www.cornerhotel.com | 1300 724 867

FRI 14 OCT | WORKERS CLUB, GEELONG VIC
Tickets available from www.oztix.com.au | 1300 762 545 | All Oztix Outlets

SAT 15 OCT | CORNER HOTEL, MELBOURNE VIC
Tickets available from www.cornerhotel.com | 1300 724 867

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! But foul language or anything offensive is not accepted. Have a swell day. :)