Monday, September 5, 2016

Sorrel Nation || Kids On The Run EP



It wasn't all that long ago that Sorrel Nation called England home. But this bright, young muso packed up her bags and moved to Australia. Her latest EP Kids On The Run has been helped along by acclaimed British producer Ian Barter (who's worked with the likes of Guy Sebastian and Amy Whitehouse, but no big deal or anything..), together creating what they've described as the best work of Sorrel's career to date. The lead single from the EP, Watch Me As I Go, is the powerful story of leaving behind loved ones and it's the song that always makes Sorrel's mum cry (and honestly, probably yours too).

Sorrel is a powerful songstress, but no amount of vocal ability can truly compete with the emotion she pours into her art. The songs aren't forced, they flow easily and can be listened to in the same way. And while it may have taken Sorrel a while to decide on her preferred genre, now that she's found it you can be assure that the music that follows is nothing but spine tingling.

Welcome to the site; it's a pleasure to have you stop by! What've you been up to this week?
This week has been so exciting in the lead up to my EP release, I havn't been able to sit still - writing songs, planning outfits for my gigs, rehearsing for my release show on the 27th. There is just so much happening right now and I couldn't be happier.

So I've got to start by saying that your voice is crazy. How long have you been singing and working on your voice?
Thank you so much! I've always loved singing, since I can remember I've always wanted to be on a stage, singing my heart out. I was about 10 years old the first time I got up and sung Norwegian Wood with a Beatles tribute band.. haha!.. and I've never looked back. I'd take any opportunity when I was younger - talent shows, classical/opera singing lessons, reciting the entirety of Disney sound tracks with my best friend. Singing is and will always be one of my most cherished memories.

Is singing something that you always knew you wanted or did you have to fall in love with it?
I always knew I wanted to be a singer, I was just never sure what kind.. I was happy to do anything.. Musical, Opera, Folk, Singer/Songwriter... It wasnt until I was about 13 or 14 when I picked up a guitar and maybe a year after that that I started writing songs that I knew I wanted to be a songwriter as well. I love singing with bands, but getting up on stage, just me, my guitar and the songs i've written, makes me so happy and proud.


Your latest, Watch Me As I Go, is such an emotive tune. Can you share the story behind it with us?
Watch Me As I Go is a song that always makes my family tear up. I feel so bad!! haha! It is a heartbreaking bitter sweet song though. I fell in love with a gorgeous Aussie man and decided to pack my bags and move to Australia at the age of 19. My family are always so supportive of everything I do, but they were so sad to see me go - it was heartbreaking for me too after having lived at home my whole life with my incredible family. I wrote this song two weeks before I was due to leave, and performed it for the first time at my farewell gig in my hometown of Tunbridge Wells - safe to say there wasn't a dry eye in the room, myself included. I now have an incredible life in Aus, and a song I'm so proud of. I just wish my family were here to celebrate with me!

How long did it take for this one to become fully formed as we hear it today? Was it a long process?
It was a fairly short process to start with, it all happened so quickly... I wrote the song and was about to leave for Aus, but managed to squeeze in a recording session with British producer Ian Barter (Amy Winehouse, Paloma Faith). He absolutely loved my demo, so in one day we recorded the song and shot part of the music video. I played the guitar parts down on all the tracks, and then he worked his magic. It wasn't until the following year when I returned home that we recorded the rest of the EP and finished the music video... so in that respect, it has been as long time coming and it surreal that its now being released!!

Your EP release is fast approaching, how are you feeling knowing everyone will be sharing in your music so soon?
I've loved these tracks for so long, my family and friends have heard them, but its exciting and nerve racking knowing that the rest of the world (hopefully) will now hear them! I love singing, I love writing and performing, and I love my EP so i just hope everyone else does too.

Is it scary to share something that you've worked on in private for what I can only assume has been a fairly long and intense time?
It is a little scary! I've never been one to get nervous before a show, or worry about my music... but this is such a big moment in my career, and all the songs are very personal, which is what I believe makes them so special, but yeah, I'm a bizarre mix of nervous and excited right now!

Is there anything else you'd like to say before everyone gets to have a listen to the EP?
I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who I know has already bought the EP, and everyone who has been there throughout my singing career so far... I've had some wonderful family, friends, producers, managers etc... who has done nothing but believe in me and put in a lot of hard work to help me achieve my dreams!!

Thanks for stopping by Love 'Em!
Thanks so much Love 'Em! Enjoy the EP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.