Friday, October 12, 2018

Meet Tales | The Winter Gypsy rebranded


'We wanted to change our name for a few reasons - "gypsy" is an outdated term and we want to stay relevant and respectful. We also felt that being locked down by our name to an indie folk image wasn't something we wanted in the long term.'

The always dreamy folk from the band formerly known as The Winter Gypsy, Tales have entered a new era; with a new name and new release fronting the charge. Under the mentorship of Aussie label Wonderlick, the indie five-piece have taken the South Australian Music Awards "Best Folk Artist" category. Through their mentorship, the band have established themselves and have a clear direction to follow. '[It's] really helped us pave a path for our next step in what we hope is the right direction,' explains lead singer Tushar Singh.

Having had a stellar 12 months, the lads are continuing to grow into themselves and it's showing in their music. The boys' latest track, So Blue, is busy but focussed. Singh explains further, 'For us, it's essentially about living with free minds and not letting little issues strike us down in times of vulnerability'.

Coldplay - Yellow
Not only is Yellow one of the best songs of all time, but the entire Parachutes album was one of Coldplay's best albums to date. That album, and this song, will stay with me for a lifetime.

Syzmon - Golden
Rest in peace to one of the best up and coming artists to grace this world. Unfortunately, his passing was tragic and he never got to play any shows; but this song and his album will live on. This track is nothing but golden! Trust me.

Mr Jukes ft. Charles Bradley - Grant Green
Mr Jukes was the lead singer from one of my favourite bands, Bombay Bicycle Club. I remember trying to find out what he'd been up to, then I stumbled onto his new project, Mr Jukes. Grant Green  was the first track I listened to, and I instantly fell in love. Such a feel good track, and the video itself is filled with so much colour. Definitely check it out.

Tony Orlando - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole' Oak Tree
I just had to put this one in the mix. I just remember my mum and dad always singing this one whenever it came on the radio. [It's] definitely a nostalgic and happy tune from the past for me.

Michael Jackson - Black or White
My whole family loved Michael Jackson. Unfortunately I was the only one that didn't see him live, however I was also not born yet. I can remember my brothers always playing his albums and watching his tour DVDs. He was truly the King of Pop. Rest in peace, Michael.