Thursday, June 16, 2016

Follow Me Back by Nicci Cloke || Book Review


Title: Follow Me Back
Author: Nicci Cloke
Release Date: February 2016
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Source: Review copy from the publisher

There was no sign of a struggle. She took her phone but left her laptop behind. Apparently, she'd met someone online. Did she leave? Or was she taken?

The first time Aiden Kendrick hears about Lizzie Summersall's disappearance is when the police appear at his front door. Aiden doesn't know it yet, but with Lizzie's disappearance his life is about to take a twisted and desperate turn.

I want to start by saying that I didn't hate this book. I didn't even not like it that much. It's just that it's forgettable. There seems to be something of an inundation of internet horror story based books, so to stand out is a tough call. And unfortunately, Nicci Cloke's Follow Me Back doesn't quite nail it.

Aiden was a likable enough narrator. He was completely unreliable as a protagonist and kept a lot of information from the reader, but his voice really did work for the story. It was frustrating, but Aiden's lying was possibly one of the most interesting aspects of the book. I really felt for him as Lizzie's friend but was simultaneously irritated by his behaviour. I really wanted to reach into the pages and shake him until he saw some sense. I found myself thinking HOW DO YOU THINK THAT'S A GOOD IDEA? repeatedly throughout the book.

I personally found the plot fairly easy to see through, my initial hunch was correct so it wasn't the greatest reveal. I don't know if I've just read too many thrillers and know how to pick a perpetrator or if it was down to the writing. I have read other reviews online where the ending completely stumped them, so I wouldn't let my experience put you off. I would say though, that if you want a book that will keep you guessing the entire way through maybe opt for something else. 

I don't know if I'd recommend you read this book, but I wouldn't discourage you either. It was an okay book, an okay story (if slightly over the top) but it just didn't come together for me. Maybe I'm just sick of the internet-is-scary-be-careful-of-anyone-you-talk-to plot line, but if you aren't then I'd suggest you give it a try. It mightn't stay with you once you've finished it, but it won't be too painful a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.