Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

A Tangle of Gold || Book Review || Blog Tour


Title: A Tangle of Gold
Author: Jaclyn Moriarty
Release Date: 23rd February, 2016
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Buy the book: Book Depository

The Kingdom of Cello is in crisis. Princess Ko's deception has been revealed and the Elite have taken control, placing the Princess, Samuel and Sergio under arrest and ordering their execution. Elliot is being held captive by the Hostiles and Colour storms are raging through the land. The Cello Wind has been silent for months.

Plans are in place to bring the remaining Royals home from the World but then all communication between Cello and the World will cease. That means Madeleine will lose Elliot, forever.


Madeleine and Elliot must solve the mystery of Cello before it is too late.

Jaclyn Moriarty's Colours of Madeleine series is one that I fell in love with slowly. Although the first two books (A Corner of White and The Cracks in the Kingdom) at times felt like they dragged and at points I did nearly pop them both back in to my TBR pile. Luckily for me I persevered, and I was rewarded with this final, stunning installment, A Tangle of Gold.

A big criticism I have with lots of books is that I have them figured out before the twist is revealed. This was completely the opposite with A Tangle of Gold. I definitely didn't expect the story to head in the direction that it did. A massive kudos to Moriarty for this, you got me good with this one.

Every character in this book was so realistic and well-rounded. I felt like I, too, had fallen into the world of Cello. My personal favourite to read about was Princess Ko. Not only did she run the Kingdom of Cello single-handedly, she was also a fiery young woman. Throughout the books, I felt the frustration towards her from the other characters, but when it was revealed what her plan was my reaction was simply 'of course'.

Elliot, although one of favourite characters throughout the first two installments, felt different for a majority of this book. It made me feel unsure about him and confused, such a big change in his personality appeared unnecessary. However this is eventually resolved.

This was by far my favourite of the three books in this trilogy. It had everything I could possibly wish for in a concluding novel. I've heard it said that novels in a series get worse, but this is absolutely not the case with A Tangle of Gold. If you are, like myself, struggling with either of the first two novels keep going. I promise, it will absolutely be worth it. A Tangle of Gold is the perfect, if slightly neat, ending to a world that I wish I could visit for the first time all over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.