Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Crashing Down || Book Review


Title: Crashing Down
Author: Kate McCaffrey
Release Date: August 2014
Publisher: Fremantle Press
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Buy the book: Book Depository

Lucy is in Year 12 and under pressure to succeed. 

The last thing she needs now is an intense boyfriend. Breaking up with Carl feels like the only way to keep her dreams on track.


But good decisions can have bad consequences.


And leaving Carl is going to be a whole lot harder than Lucy could ever have imagined. 





To be honest the cover and blurb for this book were so unappealing to me that I nearly just shoved it on my bookcase and left it there. But thankfully I pulled it out anyway and got over the lacklustre start. Because I know what they say about judging a book by its cover and I didn't want to not start just because it didn't look as pretty (sorry to all my English teachers for using that adjective..) as some of the other books on my TBR (To Be Read, for anyone who's confused) list.


Crashing Down tells the story of Lucy and Carl, who within the first chapter lands himself in a coma after a drunken car accident. Which is basically what the synopsis had already told me, but the rest of the book was so dramatic and fast-paced that I felt like I was watching an over-the-top soap opera.

I don't want to give anything away, but there was so much going on in this book that I couldn't believe how short the timeline of this book was. Everything that happened to Lucy was, although far-fetched perhaps, realistic, but it did feel like a lot of ground for one book to cover.

Lucy was the character that I had the most mixed feelings about. She was the obvious centre of the book, and had a superwoman amount of strength about her. But at the same time I often felt that she was unrealistic, or at least foreign to me in a way that made it quite difficult to connect with her. Usually I leave books feeling like the main characters are friends, but Lucy didn't end up that way.

Crashing Down is a book that covers a lot of ground in a very short space of time. It wasn't the best book I've ever read but I would recommend it you if you're into coming of age stories. Just keep the tissues handy and don't go into this book if you're having a down day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! But foul language or anything offensive is not accepted. Have a swell day. :)