Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

One Of The Boys & VIBES // Interview + Review

The fabulous mind behind One of The Boys Jamie-Lee Yard has achieved a lot in the two months since starting her own brand. Going from strength to strength, this brand is cool, comfy, and completely wearable - think your go-to lazy day tank or tee but trendy enough to look like you've tried.

I can't even describe how much I love OTB. So instead of me writing nonsense I'll let Jamie do the 'talking'.

[Thanks to J for being so generous by sending me an OTB tank!]

  • So firstly how is One of The Boys going lately?
It has been an overwhelming response considering the label only started just over two months ago.

  • How did it start?
I am known for making something out of nothing and [I] was feeling like I needed a hobby. So I just started sketching styles and fashion.

  • What inspired the label?
Adelaide, as small as it is, has a really good night life, I am a very social person and am always out and about doing something. Last year I was introduced to a music genre [called] 'Trap'. There is an event called Trapped in Adelaide held mostly at Electric Circus that is in a basement, [with a] very underground feel to it. When I attended for the first time I fell in love. The music, the people and the fashion is exactly what inspired me! It was like I had something in common with everyone there, I wore my boyfriend's top as a dress, a beanie and some boots. I felt like 'one of the boys' and every female there had the same trend.

  • I hear you have a new line and label coming out. What can you share about this?
Yes, I have a busy few weeks ahead of me. I have another line coming out on OTB that is going to refresh and 90s child memory, but what is more exciting is from January we will be expanding. A fresh new label called VIBES.

  • How will it be different from OTB?
OTB has the 90s skater feel to it but with VIBES I'm looking into the 80s Miami look - lots of neon and bright colour. This past year has been my favourite of all time, my 2014 goal was to push a lot of positive vibes through my personality and live for the moment and that really shows in the new label..

  • What are you hoping to achieve with this label?
Success, and in saying that I feel as if I have already achieved that. Walking down the street and seeing your hard work on someone you don't know is a good feeling.

  • Where will we be able to buy it?
OTB and VIBES are available only online at this stage. [One Of The Boys is no longer open] and VIBES is in the making [at] threadvibes.bigcartel.com

  • When is everything going to be available?
All the new gear we are aiming to have out within two weeks time.

  • How long does it take you to design a line?
I draw everything. I drew our latest four designs in two hours. I then send it to a professional who makes it come alive. The time frame depends on how inspired I am.

  • What are you most proud of?
When I get random customers contacting me saying how much they love their items. It makes me want to keep going and make it into a career.

  • Why did you go into fashion?
Because I had the understanding I wouldn't have to buy clothes again, but that is not true.

  • Describe your personal style?
I would have to say I am 90s inspired with a passion [for] old school rock. I love living for my childhood. ALL the good things were made back then.

Some Blonde DJ
  • If you could steal someone's clothing collection, who's would it be and why?
This is an extremely hard question for me. I have a few people in the music industry who have inspired the label. I was lucky enough to be in contact with them and they have supported the label by repping it on social media, DJ Brooklyn and Some Blonde DJ. But in all I would love to take a few goodies out of Rihanna's closet because she has such a wide variety of looks that I would be covered for any occasion.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! But foul language or anything offensive is not accepted. Have a swell day. :)