Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

Allday

Tom Gaynor? No. Well if I said Allday would that make it easier?

This 23-year-old started small, uploading free music online in 2011, but in just three short years he has released his debut album Startup Cult, amassed over 120 000 fans on Facebook and been featured on Triple J Unearthed.

Currently touring, the Adelaide-turned-Melbournite is only going up. Things are bright for Allday.

Mahalia: Allday is an interesting stage name (and definitely brings up some weird things on Google!), what's the meaning behind it?
Allday: My friends called me that one day when I was st---d, taking forever to decide what flavour of tiny teddies I wanted.
M: You landed a support gig with Lily Allen for Splendour in the Grass, what was that experience like?
A: It was rad. She is such a boss and playing to 5000 people is never a bad thing.


M: When I told people I'd secured this interview, they all asked the same thing "well, what sort of music does he make?" It doesn't fit nicely into any one box, how would you describe your music?
A: It's like rap music that takes little trips into R&B, pop and maybe electro at times. Mostly it's just stories about w--d and girls.


M: Things seem to have taken off for you once Triple J started giving you airtime, but obviously there was a lot of time before that. How important has social media been in getting your music out into the public?
A: I just like to talk to the people who listen to me, I'm always on social media. Some people say I'm funny on social media and some people say I'm annoying but either way I'm just being myself and that's all you can do.




M: Your album debuted at number 3, how did you feel when you found out?

A: I was pretty amazed, I was hoping for top 5 but I probably would have been happy with top 10. It took so much effort to make the album, like I borderline drove myself crazy and it was so cool to be rewarded by having people like it.


M: What are the best and worst things about touring?
A: The best things are meeting people, smoking free w--d everywhere we go, getting driven around, hanging with my friends, seeing the country and the world. The worst thing is probably taking your laptop out of the bag when going through security at the airport; it p-sses me off so much.


M: Music is such a great storyteller, what message do you want to give your fans?
A: I have lots of messages. But also sometimes I want to write a song without a message. Escapism can be worthwhile sometimes.


M: Finally, if you meet one person in the world, who would you want to have a chat to?
A: Larry David, I have to have dinner with him before I die or he dies.


"Some people say I'm funny on social media" :: https://www.facebook.com/alldaytunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.