Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Lili Kendall

Everyone has to start somewhere, and for the uber talented musician Lili Kendall, life has already begun. After winning the 2014 Unsigned Only (Teen Category) and recently releasing her newest single Run, life is going full-throttle for this 17-year-old indie-pop artist.

Unsigned Only is a prestigious international music competition, open to any artist currently not signed to a major label. The only Aussie to take out a placing in the competition, Lili's win is even more impressive.

Originally hailing from Brisbane, Miss Kendall splits her time between her home city and LA, with days filled with performing, writing and recording. As well as finishing off her final year of schooling.

With such a hectic schedule already, and a truckload of talent to boot, great things are in store for the budding musician.



Mahalia: Let's be real here Lili, first thing you did when you found out you'd snagged first place in the Unsigned Only music competition?
 Lili: The Unsigned Only team in Nashville called my Mum and then I was woken up by a phone call from my mum in the early hours of the morning - haha! So if I'm being real, I really had no idea what was going on and was more concerned about the loud excitement coming from the phone.. When I woke up and read my emails it was then that I did a little victory dance!

M: When did you decide to pursue music as more than just a hobby?
 L: It was never really a decision where I thought "this is going to be my career" it just naturally transitioned over to being my job and not once have I questioned whether or not it's what I want to do for the rest of my life, I love it so much.

M: If you could play one instrument that you currently don't, what would it be?
L: The flugelhorn...just because. Also [it's] probably a really good conversation starter!

M: If you could sell out a major music venue, which would it be and why?
L: Ahh, I would have to say Madison Square Garden in NYC because that is like the holy grail of venues to musicians I think.

M: What's something you've learnt about the music business so far that's really surprised you?
L: Nothing has really surprise me yet, I'm still learning, but being in LA for music for a lot of the year and surrounded by the industry is making me a quick learner. I'm here in LA now to write and play a few shows with my band and [I'm] heading back home in Brisbane in a few days to complete my year 12 final exams!

M: Who is your current favourite artist?
L: I would have to say Childish Gambino, I saw him at Splendour in the Grass [Music Festival] and have been obsessed with 'Because the Internet' ever since. When he uploaded some new music into his SoundCloud the other day I got way too excited..


M: What do you hope other people see personality-wise when they look at you?
L: Hmm, I am quite a quiet person when I am by myself or you first meet me, so if you were just looking at me I'm sure you wouldn't see much, but generally I'm always smiling and giggling so maybe that I am light hearted or humourous? I don't even know, haha.

M: How would you describe yourself?
L: At the end of the day, I am still just a teenager trying to graduate high school as well as making cool pop music for everyone to jam out to. You can win me over with a 90's rom-com and a pint of Ben and Jerry Fudge Brownie [ice cream].

 
Make sure to check out Lili's brand new single Run and stay updated on her Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.